Thursday, March 12, 2009

Week or 2 in Review

I'm behind so here are some tidbits from the past week and then some.

Sarah decided to make Will a girl the other day.  She wrapped a blanket around him and called it a gown.  Then she went searching for a hair clip that she doesn't wear anymore to put in his hair. She informed me that she only likes girls and so she's going to make Will a girl because she likes him.  I had to tell her that she can't just make him a girl with a dress and bows.  I also told her that if he doesn't want the bow in, then she needs to listen and leave him alone.   Why I even bothered with this instruction, I'm not sure since I know that my little boy is always up for humoring his big sister.  And so, for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, Will ended up with a beeeee-U-tiful pink bow in his hair.  At least she left off the pretty Sleeping Beauty shoes this time.

The best picture I could get of the first time she dressed him up because he wouldn't sit still.  He just wanted the camera.

Parent/Teacher conferences were last week and I was happy to find out that my girl is a much better listener in class than at home.  She is doing great in most everything.  The teachers pointed out that she is very sensitive to other people's feelings and doesn't get involved in the whole "You can't play with me" game that some other kids do right now.  She plays with most people in class (I read that as just the girls!).  The best part was to hear that she's become quite the runner and really enjoys the class time with Coach now.  My daughter's athleticism has been slow to develop and it's nice to know that she's starting to enjoy more than just dancing and swimming, which brings me to....

A bump up in classes at swimming!  I know this sounds like she's doing the crawl across the pool, which she isn't, but this is mostly all about massive improvement.  As I have mentioned before, Sarah has never been scared of the water but she has lacked any sort of confidence in the water.  She started last fall in the 201 class and is now in 401.  She throws herself in the pool and I think they start working on some arm motion this session.  She also loves the mini kid slide which is very new.  Her beloved Coach Crystal even noted a week or 2 ago that she seemed so confident now.   That's a huge deal for us.  When Sarah's doing something new confidence is the big problem.  Swimming is the first activity (outside dancing) that Sarah loves to do.  I hope she continues.  I love to watch her at swim lessons. Hooray!

From swimming we go to the stage!  Sarah's class "performed" Beauty and the Beast (original story, not Disney) earlier this week.  Their teacher put on the book on tape and after a few rehearsals, the kids acted it out for a small audience.  Sarah was Beauty, the other girls in class were her sisters.  She LOVED it.  She was a little bit shy but just adored doing it and wants to know when they are doing it again.  Yesterday she informed that she would be putting on a show.  She asked her brother if he would be the handsome prince and told Daddy to direct.  I was just the stage hand and she would star.  She then informed me that we would be putting the show on at Target because they have a stage.  Hmmmm.... sounds like a much fancier Target than the one we go to.  She told me not to tell her teachers or anyone because it was going to be a surprise.  So cute.  I guess we'll have to do some little acting camp or class or just put on some shows at home.
Sarah being taken to the beast by her "dad" and then Sarah kissing the beast and turning him into a handsome prince.

2009-2010 registration for school is going on right now.  Sarah will officially be going to All Saints for Pre-K which is where Andy works now.  In surprising news, Andy learned that Sarah is already at the top of her class next year with the top admissions score. OK - read that again and then remember that she's 4.  It made me laugh too.  I'm proud of her but I also know that she's not a genius.  She went in for the 30 minute admissions test in January without Mommy.  Will and I waited outside.  She was very, VERY shy about it but I guess she did just fine. 

I turned in paperwork yesterday for Will to head into the pink door at Sarah's current preschool with the wonderful teachers that Sarah had last year.  That's a bit exciting because I have a feeling he will absolutely love it and he will have several friend already with him.  Which means.... I have about 5 months to get him potty trained!  Wish me luck.  

And - here are some more recent pics:
Sarah showing me the paper dolls I made for her to color and Will in Sarah's pink towel.

No comments: