Wednesday, May 27, 2009

So Nice to be Recognized

As a mom, it's not often that you get recognized for doing a great job, especially by strangers.
This morning I took the kids to Will's heart Dr. appointment. First, they make you check in a half hour before your appointment time. I get that they are trying to have people there on time but do they remember that they are PEDIATRIC cardiologists. Despite the wait, the kids were very good. Will decided, just as he did a year ago at this appointment, to poop while in the waiting room. It was stinky and messy just YUCKY! The technician took his weight and height (sort of) and then took us to our room. While he grabbed what he needed, I changed Will's foul diaper.
The guy was so funny. He closed the door for privacy and then apologized when he came in and I wasn't quite done. He offered me a tiny, insufficient baggy for the diaper. I informed him that I had a Ziploc bag. Lucky for me, I was on top of things that morning. Kids were being good. I had favorite books, plug (pacifier), Bright the Dog, diapers, tons of wipes, hand cleaner, Ziploc bags and a my iPod for Sarah to watch something. The guy looked around as I got Will's shirt off and prepared him for the rest of the checkup (smelling much better and with his old diaper fully contained). He asked if I only had 2. I said yup, only 2. He said really? you're like a professional. You've got everything. How nice is that!! I'm sure he has no idea how good that made me feel. I really was super mom this morning and it was so nice to have a stranger notice it.

So here's to all the Super Moms out there doing a great job and not getting noticed - including my mom too!! Thanks mom for changing not only my yucky diapers but my kids' diapers too.

PS The appointment went well. Will's heart murmur is completely innocent and is just an added sound to the way his heart sounds and the way it pumps blood. The interesting part was when the Dr. made him do a sit up. I guess using the abdominal muscles changes the pressure in the heart (or something like that, I don't remember the details of it) and so if it's innocent, then while doing a sit up, the Dr should not be able to hear it. Such was our case so all is good. Hooray for Will. He was pretty good for the Dr. listening to him and the stickers and the ECG. Our only problem was that the blood pressure machine sounds like a quieter combination of a fire engine and motorcycle, 2 sounds that FREAK Will out. He screamed and got REALLY upset. They turned it off pretty fast and then he was just fine.