Tuesday, June 09, 2009

The Big City

My father-in-law and I took Will downtown today because we had to take care of some tax stuff at the City offices.  Will was very excited because he heard us talking about the "city".  We were using it in the context of the people we had to talk to.  He heard it as we're heading into the "city", like we live way out in the middle of nowhere.  As soon as we got close to downtown and he saw the buildings, Will started shouting City! City!  It's amazing what excites a 2 year old.  We parked in a garage next to the city offices and rode an elevator down and then up and then down and up again to get back.  Will LOVES elevators and I think that was the highlight of his day.  We had him in a stroller with books and he was a very, very good boy.

I've decided that it takes a special type of person to work in the tax office.  Someone with very little sense of humor, a tough attitude and someone with no time for fun.  The lady who was helping me was all business and then some.  Not friendly at all, even though I tried to be very pleasant and nice.  I brought Will the Charmer with me and even he couldn't crack her icy exterior.  I really hope she goes home and saves all her good humor for there because it isn't at work.  But then again, my father in law lucks out and has the nicest guy helping him. Oh well!!

To top off our trip to the big city, Will announced as soon as we were leaving the parking garage, "I had fun at the city!"  I have a feeling that that is the first and last time that statement has been made after leaving a city office.

No comments: