Sunday, June 14, 2009

Daddy's gone so things will go wrong

Andy left this morning super early for his week long conference in Philadelphia, so, of course, Murphy's Law says that something must happen to make this an even LONGER week than it would have been without any problems.  Will went to bed complaining of some pain on his foot.  Not noticing anything on his foot, I humored him with a band aid.  He had a very restless night and finally around 3am, Andy brought him into our bed where we looked at his foot.  His ankle was huge.  We gave him pain medication and got him back to sleep.  When he woke up this morning, not only was his ankle still swollen but now he has blisters on the back of his ankle from his shoes yesterday.  We still have no clue what happened, only that it probably happened late Friday because he said something to me Friday night about his foot hurting.  Way to go Mom!  He played a lot yesterday and must have a high pain threshold.  We were thinking at first that maybe it was a bee sting or bug bite or something and are still not completely ruling that out.
My next step was to call his pediatrician to see if I can PLEASE avoid the emergency room.  I would rather spend the whole day with him on the couch and see the Dr. tomorrow than face the emergency room.  I want to do the usual R.I.C.E. (Rest Ice Compression Elevation to help is ankle but ummm.... he's 2 which means Rest is as close as I can get to do doing all 4.  I tried ice and elevation but NO WAY was he going for either of those.  So I'm waiting for a call back from the triage nurse or pediatrician on call with images of Will in a cast going through my head and wondering how long it would be on and how that would affect our trip to San Diego.

**Update - Triage Nurse is sending us to Urgent Care (Not ER, bless her) because if it's fractured, it needs to be seen now.  I will keep the updates coming.

Oh and did I mention that Andy's out of town all week.......

No comments: